[mythtv-users] Fedora Myth(TV)ology turns 3

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 29 10:21:05 UTC 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 6:23 AM, Craig Tinson wrote:

> just had a first look through the new FC3 guide.. can I make a *very*
> small suggestion? have always prefered using "su -" rather than "su"
> to get to root.. ie, under section 4:
>
> "Log in with the normal user account, then assume root privs with 'su'
> wherever a command needs to be run as root."
>
> I know you are *far* more experience with Linux than I'll ever hope to
> be.. and you probably use "su -" in r/l.. just forgot to use it in
> this howto.. some people might just have problems with paths if they
> use "su".. I know I have..

Actually, I did make a conscious decision to roll with just 'su',
because 'su' alone leaves the user in the same directory, while 'su -'
puts them in /root. Yeah, that does mean you don't get /sbin and
/usr/sbin added to your path, but that's why I put in full paths for
all commands. In real life, whether I use just 'su' or 'su -' depends
on what I'm doing... I usually add /sbin and /usr/sbin to my user
account's $PATH anyhow. :-p

However, if most people think recommending 'su -' over 'su' is a better
way to go, its no skin off my back, I'll go 'head and change it.

> Thanks again for an excellent howto.. as has been noted many times..
> *many* of us wouldn't have a working myth box without it..

Just happy to help out. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com