[mythtv-users] Mythmusic on Xbox with SPDIF ?

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sat Nov 27 23:07:12 UTC 2004

Stefan Manteuffel wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>im looking for a way to play my mp3's on an Xbox over the SPDIf Plug.
>
>Mythtv, Mythvideo und MythDVD works very fine but i fond no way for Mythmusic.
>
>I Read "I don't believe MythMusic has ALSA support. I use the OSS emulation of
>ALSA and reroute all PCM data to the SPDIF connector as you probably saw
>on mythtv.info "
>
>But how can i do that ? I have not found it there.
>
>OSS Emulation is enabled and i build Myth from CVS with Alsa enabled.
>
>I took the .asound from mythtv.info.
>
>What is the Trick and sorry for my poor english.
>
>Stefan

You need to create /dev/adsp on your box and then define the alsa option
for pcm in your modprobe.conf (or modules.conf or whatever). This will
create and install a device called /dev/adsp which is the digital output
for most cards. If you want specifics, google for "mknod adsp" and "alsa
adsp" which turns up a bunch of links explaining how to do this.
Finally, change the mythmusic audio output to be /dev/adsp. Generally,
you also need to reboot or reload the alsa modules. I've got another
post on this list with more info, but google works too once you know
what to look for (that's the hard part).