[mythtv-users] Alsa sound out

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sat Nov 27 03:55:00 UTC 2004

I've seen about a thousand posts about issues similar to this, but still
no answer. Nothing on the web either.

Anyway, mplayer works, I can play dvd's, but nothing from TV or music.
Basically, myth can't use alsa and my .asoundrc from the digital sound
guide (nvidia binary driver, nvidia setup in asoundrc), but mplayer can.
The error I get is Output Error. AudioOutput: timed-out waiting for for
'ALSA:spdif'. Note that I get this error on every ALSA setting. Anything
using alsa times out. I can actually apparently use /dev/dsp, but don't
have a hook up to test there is any sound coming out. I figure this is
something I just missed, but have been searching and googling all night
with out finding much. Anyone seen something like this? I'm digging into
the code next to find the error and see if I can figure out what's not
happening that way.

-Pete