[mythtv-users] XF4.3.0 too slow for HDTV? (was BadAlloc)

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Nov 25 20:46:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 02:59:07AM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 22:47, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > each of them) pushing a Radeon 9000 Pro some time back (over a year ago).
> > > I yanked that card, put in an nVidia card, and everything has been just
> > > fine since. Sounds like things might have improved slightly, but still
> > > sub-par...

Here's another datapoint.  I have a frontend on my workstation, an
Athlon64 3200+ system with a 128MB Radeon 9600 and 1GB system RAM.
STILL I got skipping, though not as bad.  Is it the ATI cards that
suck or the drivers?  I am amazed that this worked so poorly on my
Athlon64 box.

> Try the onboard first, see how it works.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

> AGP GeForce FX 5200, 128MB variety. Got mine for like $40, works like a charm.
> Fanless Chaintech one from newegg.

> You really don't need very much RAM, even for HDTV playback. If you have 512
> in there already, you're set.

I have only 256MB, and I run mythweb, so there's apache+php in there
too.  If I steal another 32 to 64MB for the video card, I think
performance will suffer.

-- John