[mythtv-users] XF4.3.0 too slow for HDTV? (was BadAlloc)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 25 10:59:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 22:47, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:12:27PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 November 2004 19:58, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > I tried playing with settings in my XF86Config-4.  Setting the AGP mode
> > > to 4x maybe helped a bit, though if I tried to turn on fast writes,
> > > starting up X would either cause a hang or immediate reboot.
> >
> > I wouldn't let a Radeon card come near my HDTV Myth box. I had assorted
> > problems with both the radeon and fglrx drivers (different problems with
> > each of them) pushing a Radeon 9000 Pro some time back (over a year ago).
> > I yanked that card, put in an nVidia card, and everything has been just
> > fine since. Sounds like things might have improved slightly, but still
> > sub-par...
>
> That's bad news; I bought that 9200 specifically for this because the
> nvidia drivers were giving me fits (!).

Heh. :-)

> My motherboard does have an onboard nForce 2 IGP.  I think that's a
> 440FX maybe?

The onboards are typically what amounts to a GeForce 4 MX 440.

> Do you think this would actually be better than the 9200,

I used just that for a while without much of a problem. However, the AGP FX
5200 I have now produces a bit smoother video.

> or is my only real option to get a new card?

Try the onboard first, see how it works.

> If so, do you have a
> specific card you'd suggest?  I'm not very familiar at all with the
> nvidia line.

AGP GeForce FX 5200, 128MB variety. Got mine for like $40, works like a charm.
Fanless Chaintech one from newegg.

> Though if I use the onboard card, I'll have to add more system RAM since
> it steals some for itself.

You really don't need very much RAM, even for HDTV playback. If you have 512
in there already, you're set.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com