[mythtv-users] Re: Newbie needs help finding IVTVCTL for PVR-350

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 24 22:29:28 UTC 2004

Hi Dave, my condolences on your effort to learn Linux, many of us have
had similar learning curves.  I'm using Slackware 9.1, so it's not the
same distribution that you have, but perhaps this will help.

When installing MythTv from source (which is how lots of stuff is done
in Slackware) you would download the tarball for ivtv, which your can
get to from:

http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=DownloadIvyTv

Note - the sourceforge download site wasn't working while I was writing
this :(

Ivtvctl program is one of the files that's installed from the ivtv
installation (I assume it's one of the utilities from the tarball).  I
don't know why your installation didn't include it, but, I'll walk you
through the manual, from source, method:

1. Download the driver tarball and save it on /usr/src (or wherever you
care to save it)

2. Move over to that directory
$cd /usr/src

3. View where the tarball will be unpacked with:
$tar -tzvvf ivtv-0.1.9.tar.gz

4. Unpack the tarball with:
$tar -xzvvf ivtv-0.1.9.tar.gz

, it should create a directory called /usr/src/ivtv

The next few instructions are snitched from a Slackware installation
HowTo:
http://home.comcast.net/~homebrewracing/Mythtv.txt

If your Tv-out is working, then you probably don't want to actually
install the driver or the firmware, but you do want the utilities.  Here
are the steps, with dashes ( -- ) in front of the steps you should skip:

$ cd ivtv/utils
-- $ wget
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/pvr250/pvr250_17_21288.exe
-- $ su
-- # ./ivtvfwextract.pl pvr250_17_21288.exe
-- # exit
$ cp videodev2.h ../driver
$ cd ../driver
$ make
$ su
-- # make install
# cd ../utils
# make
# make install

He makes a comment about the installation not working for some people,
but I've not had a problem with it:
If you get errors during make install from utils directory, just
manually move the binaries:
# cp ivtvfbctl /usr/local/bin
# cp ivtvplay /usr/local/bin
# cp mpegindex /usr/local/bin
# cp test_ioctl /usr/local/bin

If these files are not present, then something else went wrong.  Game
Over, insert another coin and try again.

By the way, I don't use the released driver (ivtv-0.1.9).  As I was
writing this, I noticed that the ivtvctl source code was in the source
from the driver that I'm using, but maybe not in the released source
code.  It has test_ioctl, which (I think) was replaced by ivtvctl.  If
you're interested in looking into it, then look here:

http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.3/

Well, that's about it.  Crystal-clear,,,,right??  I have to say, I've
done several Linux projects before, but this is one of the tougher ones
I've come across.  Good luck,
Don