[mythtv-users] Can't delete recordings - ReadStringList timeout; also bogus library liblibmythfrontend

glen martin glenm at locutory.org
Mon Nov 22 22:26:27 UTC 2004

Anyone else seeing this? I try to delete
recordings, the frontend pauses for a long
while, then I get
2004-11-22 08:09:31.504 ReadStringList timeout.
Connection to backend server lost
along with the usual popup complaining the backend
isn't there, after which the recording is still there,
the frontend is still conencted to the backend, I
see all the recordings in the list, I can play them,
etc.

Doesn't matter if front-end is local or remote.
Fontend = backend = CVS as of Saturday. Both
backend and frontend compiled with debug on.
Both machines roughly idle.

I also get this message at frontend startup:
 /usr/local/lib/mythtv/plugins/liblibmythfrontend.so:
 Unable to initialize plugin 'mythfrontend'.
 Unable to run plugin 'mythfrontend': not initialized
I'm not sure if there's a relationship. Apart from
this delete behaviour, the system seems to generally
work - that is, it lists recordings, I can watch them,
the program guide functions.

I've poked about in google and searched my own
archive of this list, nothing turned up that seems
similar. Other cases of ReadStringTimeout
include a "(quick)" modifier and occur during
recording or playback. Even those I haven't
seen posts with a resolution.

Thanks,

glen