[mythtv-users] /etc/rc.local problem

Jim Eskew eskewj at alumni.clemson.edu
Sun Nov 21 19:16:41 UTC 2004

I have this problem that I have to execute the following two commands
after every time I reboot or MythTV will just show a blank screen when
I go to watch live TV.

/usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4
/usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=480, height=480

Since Linux seems to "forget" that I set these, I thought I'd just
put them in /etc/rc.local so they'd execute everytime automatically.
But I still am getting the blank screen when I watch live tv after a
reboot.  Then if I run the two commands, it works fine.  I tried to
debug by using this in rc.local:

/usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4 > /usr/tmp/logfile.log
/usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=480, height=480 > /usr/tmp/logfile2.log

When I boot now, the two logfiles ARE being created, but they are
empty.  Normally when I run these commands at the shell, I get the
following output:

[mythtv at localhost tmp]$ /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_INPUT
Input set to 4
[mythtv at localhost tmp]$ /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=480,height=480
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_FMT
        Before:
        Type   : Video Capture
        Width  : 720
        Height : 480

        After:
        Type   : Video Capture
        Width  : 480
        Height : 480
[mythtv at localhost tmp]$

So I'm not really sure what's going on.  I'm a bit new to
Linux...thanks for any help.