[mythtv-users] How well does Unichrome work?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 18:13:07 UTC 2004

Jarod,

Thanks for the observations.

I'm considering the Abit motherboard (or something
similar) for a couple of reasons:
1. I've actually used one at the past with a previous
employer (I built a PC for them, and it worked well
enough)
2. At least I can put a snappy processor in it if I
need more power than an M10000.

But, the Abit does have one drawback, and that is that
there's no S-Video or composite output on it.  So, in
order to get that to work, I'd have to go with some
sort of VGA to composite adaptor, and I'm not really
sure how well that would work (especially if the
resolution isn't something standard like 640x480 or
800x600).

Definitely, DMA issues on the VIA chipset seem to vary
from board to board.  I had an Albatron KT400 board
(got it as part of a CPU/motherboard deal at Fry's),
and I was replaced the board with a SiS-based one
within a couple of weeks.  While my system wasn't
locking or anything, IVTV was giving a lot of DMA
errors, and the machine was just sluggish.  Much
better on the SiS machine.

I definitely await your conclusions on how well
Unichrome works, especially since you are able to
perform the "CNN test".  ESPN is another good one
sometimes (and I tend to watch it more), since they
sometimes have a lot of scrolling tickers.  Whereas
CNN is kind of smooth on the GeForce card, ESPN is
very choppy, but again, flawless on the PVR-350.

Thanks for the info.

-- Joe

x-mac-type=70674453; name=PGP.sig