[mythtv-users] CVS: commerical skipping gone psycho

Sat Nov 20 06:55:14 UTC 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:

> Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>> On Friday 19 November 2004 10:13 pm, John Patrick Poet wrote:
>>

>>> I upgraded to the latest CVS again tonight, hoping that this problem
>>> would go away.  It did not.  I have some more accurate information.
>>>
>>> When editing the cutlist, JUMPing to the *next* cutpoint always works.
>>> JUMPing to the "prev" cutpoint never works.
>>>
>>> Moving to the *next* frame always works.  Moving to the "prev" frame
>>> always causes the position to move to the *next* frame instead.
>>>
>>> When watching the show, I believe the loop I described above where it
>>> bounced between the end of the commercial and the beginning, only
>>> happens if the SKIP button is pressed in a situation where the
>>> resulting
>>> position would be in a commercial break.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else seeing this?
>>>

>> Just to verify, you're not getting any sql errors from the frontend?
>>
>> Isaac
>>

> Nope, no errors at all from the frontend, at least without turning on
> some version of verbose.
>
> When I said that moving to the prev frame, actually moves to the next
> frame, that should have been moves forward *two* frames.
>
> JUMPing to the previous cutpoint works as long as the current position
> is not a cutpoint.  Makes me think that when trying to JUMP to the
> previous cutpoint, it is actually moving a couple of frames forward,
> then seeking backwards for the cutpoint -- so it ends up at the same
> place.
>
> The problem is definitely with playback, and not recording.  I
> recorded some shows tonight using the latest CVS.  I have installed
> versions of the CVS on my frontend machine going back to November 13th
> which exhibit the problem.  If I go back to November 10th, on my
> frontend machine, the problem goes away.  So, somewhere between the
> 10th and the 13th, this problem was introduced.  I will install CVS
> versions from the 11th and 12th to try and narrow down the time frame.
>
> Isaac, thanks for looking at this.
>
> John

Okay, I have narrowed down when this bug was introduced.  A CVS checkout
from November 12th has the bug, a CVS checkout from November 11th does not.

I am guessing the change to add smoother fast forward and rewind is the
culprit.  I don't understand the workings of that code enough, at this
point, to diagnose it further.  I am hoping the author will take a look
at it...

Thanks,

John