[mythtv-users] CVS: commerical skipping gone psycho

Sat Nov 20 03:13:35 UTC 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:

> In general, the commercial detection is pretty good.  It always seems
> to designates at least one part of the show as a commercial, when it
> really is not, but other than that it does a good job.  I let the
> commercial detection do it's job, then I go in and edit the cutlist to
> make any minor adjustments that are necessary.
>
> Sometime in the last 8 days, a problem has crept into the CVS.  When
> editing a cutlist, hitting the JUMP button to move to the next/prev
> cutpoint does not always work -- if I am currently positioned on a
> cutpoint.  Sometimes it does, but sometimes hitting that button has no
> effect.  If I move a couple of frames in the direction I want to go,
> then hit the JUMP button to move to the next/prev cutpoint it works.
> This only seems to happen if I am currently positioned on a cutpoint.
>
> Because I go to the trouble to fix up the commercial detection by
> editing the cutlist, I have Myth configured to always skip commercials.
>
> The problem also seems to manifest itself while watching the show.
> When the beginning of a comercial break is reached, myth jumps to the
> end of the commercial break -- then back to the beginning of that
> commercial break -- then back to the end of it -- repeat.  Once again,
> it does not happen for every commercial, but at least once per show.
> When this happens, the only way I have been able to get beyond the
> commercial break, is to go into edit mode, move a couple of frames
> forward, then exit edit mode to restart watching the show.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is causing this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> P.S. If it makes any difference, this is with HD material.  I don't
> have anything else.

I upgraded to the latest CVS again tonight, hoping that this problem
would go away.  It did not.  I have some more accurate information.

When editing the cutlist, JUMPing to the *next* cutpoint always works.
JUMPing to the "prev" cutpoint never works.

Moving to the *next* frame always works.  Moving to the "prev" frame
always causes the position to move to the *next* frame instead.

When watching the show, I believe the loop I described above where it
bounced between the end of the commercial and the beginning, only
happens if the SKIP button is pressed in a situation where the resulting
position would be in a commercial break.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

John