[mythtv-users] ATrpms download policies (was: atrpms.net)

Pete pete at putzin.net
Tue Nov 16 02:15:51 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 04:19, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:19:08PM -0600, Pete wrote:
> > >
> > > You aren't by any chance using a download "accelerator" trying to make
> > > more than 100 connections at a time? Such hosts get automatically
> > > firewalled after last week's (unfair) fight for FC3 downloads.
> > >
> > > One of these hosts is 67.101.205.98.
> >
> > Nope, just a normal connection via yum or firefox. And the IP doesn't
> > work either. Not sure what that is, but the IP I get is 160.45.32.86.
> > Nither the .de or the .net site seem to work. I assume this has to do
> > with my ISP at this point, and I'll call them in the morning to figure
> > out what's going on.
> >
> > If you wouldn't mind checking though, I'll send you my IP in a seperate
> > private email and maybe you can see if I've been blacklisted. I don't
> > know why that would be, but who knows?
>
> Hm, you sent me the IP I quoted above, didn't you recognize it?
>
> Anyway to close this thread, your IP made more than 100 simultaneous
> connects to the ATrpms servers and you were blacklisted. I have
> manually removed your IP from the blacklist, but it will
> (automatically) get back on it if your do the same.
>
> I'm going to keep this policy, as I think it is quite unfair to hijack
> all httpd processes to one client only in order to get "accelerated"
> downloads, but crippling all the other downloads. This tears both on
> the server (all available httpd slots running) and all the other
> clients.
>
> After setting up this policy downloads went to >= 10MB/sec and >= 250
> _unique_ simultaneous clients at a load of < 0.5. Previously it was <
> 1MB/sec, <= 10 clients and load of 100-150 ...

Not sure where all those connections came from. Unless yum did it? Dunno, but
I doubt you'll see that again from me. I don't use download tools, and rarely
do more than yum or command line ftp to get rpm packages. Mostly I just jump
on and off now and then to get the occasional upgrade. Anyway, thanks, and
sorry for the bandwidth drag.