[mythtv-users] ATrpms download policies (was: atrpms.net)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Nov 15 10:19:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:19:08PM -0600, Pete wrote:
> On Sunday 14 November 2004 06:20 pm, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 05:27:56PM -0600, Pete wrote:
> > > Anyone know if Axel's site is down? I haven't been able to talk to it for
> > > over 24 hours now, both the .net site and the one in germany. Just had to
> > > reinstall and would like to get at the mythtv and mplayer stuff. Anyone
> > > getting at it, or know of a mirror?
> >
> > You aren't by any chance using a download "accelerator" trying to make
> > more than 100 connections at a time? Such hosts get automatically
> > firewalled after last week's (unfair) fight for FC3 downloads.
> >
> > One of these hosts is 67.101.205.98.
>
> Nope, just a normal connection via yum or firefox. And the IP doesn't work
> either. Not sure what that is, but the IP I get is 160.45.32.86. Nither
> the .de or the .net site seem to work. I assume this has to do with my ISP at
> this point, and I'll call them in the morning to figure out what's going on.
>
> If you wouldn't mind checking though, I'll send you my IP in a seperate
> private email and maybe you can see if I've been blacklisted. I don't know
> why that would be, but who knows?

Hm, you sent me the IP I quoted above, didn't you recognize it?

Anyway to close this thread, your IP made more than 100 simultaneous
connects to the ATrpms servers and you were blacklisted. I have
manually removed your IP from the blacklist, but it will
(automatically) get back on it if your do the same.

I'm going to keep this policy, as I think it is quite unfair to hijack
all httpd processes to one client only in order to get "accelerated"
downloads, but crippling all the other downloads. This tears both on
the server (all available httpd slots running) and all the other
clients.

After setting up this policy downloads went to >= 10MB/sec and >= 250
_unique_ simultaneous clients at a load of < 0.5. Previously it was <
1MB/sec, <= 10 clients and load of 100-150 ...
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net