[mythtv-users] mplayer hangs display on video end

Robert May robert_may2004 at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 16 00:08:25 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am fairly new to MythTV, and haven't had any luck finding a solution to my problem by searching the lists.  Any help you might provide would be much appreciated.

I am currently in the process of setting up a fresh install of MythTV.  I have installed Fedora Core 2, and will be using a Hauppauge 250 (haven't gotten that far yet, though).

After installing Fedora and mythtv-suite and all relevant OS & application updates, I've been testing out mplayer to see if it works on my system.  To test it, I've downloaded an mpeg movie preview, which I'm trying to view with mplayer.  The first hurdle was figuring out that my video card is using the VESA driver, so to launch the preview, I give the command:

mplayer -vo vesa /tmp/preview.mpg

Issuing this command, I am able to watch the entire preview, and both video & sound work great.  However, after the movie ends, and mplayer attempts to exit back to the desktop display, it hangs my video out.  All I can see after this point is a jumble of colors, and it seems the only solution is to hit the reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Robert