[mythtv-users] Inconsistent TV-out display

Jim Eskew eskewj at alumni.clemson.edu
Sun Nov 14 05:48:56 UTC 2004

Here is my question.

I am using FC2 with a nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420.  I have been using Jarod's
guide to setup my box.

I have s-video working, so I can see my desktop on the TV screen, but when I
do a test capture, the window where the video is supposed to play is all
green.

At the same time, when I do a test capture, I can see the video on my
monitor.  Why is this happening?  I figured everything that was visible on
my monitor would be transferred to the tv after I got S-video working.

Here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "20in Analog TV"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option      "NoLogo" "1"
        Option      "TwinView" "1"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,tv"
        Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
        Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
        Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.4"
        Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
        Option      "DigitalVibrance" "0"
        Option      "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 1024x768, 1024x768"
        #Option     "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

I am new at this.  Thanks for your help.