[mythtv-users] Inconsistent TV-out display

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 16:59:07 UTC 2004

See comments inline.

On Sunday 14 November 2004 00:48, Jim Eskew wrote:
> Here is my question.
>
> I am using FC2 with a nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420.  I have been using
> Jarod's guide to setup my box.
>
> I have s-video working, so I can see my desktop on the TV screen, but
> when I do a test capture, the window where the video is supposed to
> play is all green.
>
> At the same time, when I do a test capture, I can see the video on my
> monitor.  Why is this happening?  I figured everything that was
> visible on my monitor would be transferred to the tv after I got
> S-video working.

Hmmm, you don't say what kind of capture card you have, but based on
another posting (which you put in a new thread... please don't do
that!) where you indicated you were using 'mplayer /dev/video0', I
assume you have a PVR-250 or similar card?

> Here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
>
> # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
>

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
>         Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
>         Option      "NoLogo" "1"
>         Option      "TwinView" "1"

Hmmm....

>         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,tv"

this *could* be an issue if you don't have a monitor connected when
you're trying to display to the TV.  Try commenting out this line
completely; the driver should correctly detect what's connected.

>         Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
>         Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
>         Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
>         Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
>         Option      "TVOverScan" "0.4"
>         Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
>         Option      "DigitalVibrance" "0"

Also,

>    Option      "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 1024x768, 1024x768"

This *might* be problematic... try using 800x600, as most integrated
TV-outs won't do 1024x768.

Beyond that, I don't have any suggestions.

-JAC