[mythtv-users] Re: Mythweb and file stat problem
Jesse Adelman
someone at boldandbusted.com
Sat Nov 13 00:44:42 UTC 2004
OK, not sure how to do this properly, as this thread is quite old, but
I'm using gossamer-threads.com's archive, so I'll treat this e-mail
list like a "forum"...
For Gentoo, while we await resolution of this bug:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24373 , just FYI: You *can* have
your movies that are greater than 2GB in size served via Mythweb, but
you have to compile both Apache and mod_php with the CFLAG
"-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64". I was lazy, so I just temporarily added this
to the CFLAG variable in /etc/make.conf. But that's not all you have to
do...
You also must then modify the appropriate Apache ebuild (I used
2.0.52-r1), and (now get this) the php-sapi.eclass in
/usr/portage/eclass/php-sapi.eclass . The best way to modify the ebuild
is to actually copy /usr/portage/net-www/apache to your PORTAGE_OVERLAY
directory (see /etc/make.conf). Mine is /usr/local/portage/ . Then,
edit the files there, so that you won't have this overwritten the next
time you "emerge sync".
The same thing cannot be done for the eclass, however. I backed-up the
original, adding a .ORIG extension to the end of the file. Then, I
commented out lines 497-500 (inclusive). Once that's done, you can
"emerge apache mod_php" and wait. Restart Apache, then try it out. If
you get segfaults, then look to any Apache modules you've got installed
and loading (hint: /etc/conf.d/apache2 - look for the command line
options like "-D PHP4"), look for any "filter-flags
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" and adjust accordingly, as I did with Apache's
ebuild.
Once this is done and works, you can remove the CFLAG addition from
/etc/make.conf (unless you want to have that as part of your default
CFLAGS for every package built from that point forward). In my case,
I'm removing it just to prevent problems with any packages that might
not like this flag but have nothing to do with serving large files over
via HTTP. It should be noted that I didn't need to have these flags
enabled for any other packages other than Apache and mod_php on my
Gentoo Stable system w/ kernel 2.6.9 . I guess that this had already
been worked out in most other areas.
Yeah, it's fun, but it Works For Me (tm). People using mod_perl and/or
mod_python (any external Apache module, really) also may need to
perform similar surgery.
I'll let folks know if the Portage demi-gods have fixed this. I'm
hoping for a "lfs" USE flag someday (see
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14606)...
<disclaimer>Sorry if this isn't written well - I'm eager to get the
word out. Note that editing many of these files are advanced and
dangerous Portage surgeries, so be careful, read the comments, and
backup every file you change. Don't try this unless you know the
implications of these changes, and are comfortable with the
risks.</disclaimer>
Good luck,
Jesse Adelman
=====
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Jesse Adelman
http://resume.boldandbusted.com/ (just resume now)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list