[mythtv-users] Trouble with HD playback

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Wed Nov 10 15:33:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 01:04, Jason wrote:
>   I can successfully play Jarrod's ABC in HD clip on my Pundit using the
> built-in video out (s-video), but the image plays with a very large
> black border around it.

I haven't looked at those clips, but if you're watching HDTV on a 4:3
TV, you'll see black bars on the top and the bottom.  Many stations
broadcast non-HD content in 720p or 1080i with black bars on the sides.
The net result is a thick black border on a 4:3 TV.  If the clip is from
a real HDTV broadcast (e.g., a sporting event in 720p or CSI in 1080i),
then you shouldn't have bars on the sides.

--PC