[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon Linux TV Support

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:09:55 UTC 2004

Well, I don't actually have this set up myself, but I've read of
several people doing and may be able to explain how it's done...

First off, I should be more specific, when I said you can't run myth
on both, what I meant was with this solution you will only get xv
support on one of the heads, and glx support may be tied to that, so
you may not be able to use myth and play a glx game at the same time
either.

Also, I should mention that this mostly applys to svideo, although I'd
think there may be much crossover.

If your still interested, read on...

What you need to do is, set up moniter sections, two graphics devices
sections, and two screen sections.  First set up your 2 moniter
sections, with your horizsync and such for each.  With the graphics
device sections, the one for your moniter will contain no mention of
the tv out stuff, like overscan, nstc/pal/secam, or any of that stuff.
 It will pretty much be a default config.  Then you'll make an
entirely new section for the tv out and set that up for your tv, with
modelines (if needed) and whatever.  Also note that it's very
important to specify the BusID on both device sections, and that they
be the same for both of them (yes some ati cards have 2 seperate
busids, presumabely for the second head, but the driver needs them
both set to the first one)  Then set up two seperate screen sections,
one for each of your device sections.  I believe that's all there is
to it and then you can just start applications with DISPLAY=:0.1

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  For some examples, check google, or
you might look on the gentoo forums, as that's where I sow someone
post about it originally, and the info would apply to all distros.

-Nate