[mythtv-users] Help (need modeline?) with GF4MX S-Video out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 9 01:34:25 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 10:19, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> [...] For the new box, I
> got a Chaintech 7NIF2, as it's been well-recommended by a number of
> people on this list.

I'd be among the guilty. :-)

> Now, here's the problem:  the TV-out looks like crap.

:-(

> *Lots* of flicker in the UI (viewing video looks OK, but the OSD has
> the same flicker, and no, I'm not using bob deinterlace or XvMC).  I
> suspect it might have something to do with the TV encoder chip (the MX
> 420 I'd been using has an NV17 chip; the Chaintech on-board uses an
> NV18 chip).

Huh. No problems to speak of with mine. Its a relatively old board now though,
the chipset may be slightly different.

> Also, my old card has some kind of proprietary video-out
> (looks deceptively like s-video but has a different pin configuration)
> and used an adapter to get composite & s-video.

Pretty common on a number of video cards to do that, actually. I have a few
that are like that (and they aren't LeadTek).

> I tried playing with the nvidia-settings utility (using 6111 driver),
> but while I was able to reduce flicker, doing so leaves the UI somewhat
> "fuzzy" or indistinct, at least as far as text goes.  I'm *hoping* that
> a custom modeline will solve my problem, as I don't have a spare video
> card if I pull the GF4MX 420 out of the other box.

I'm just using a 1024x768 mode and the standard nvidia TV-Out stuff, no custom
modelines.

> Anybody card to offer up a modeline, or won't that help?

Dunno. Cory? :-p

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com