[mythtv-users] Help (need modeline?) with GF4MX S-Video out

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 18:19:24 UTC 2004

Here's the story:

I've been using a LeadTek WinFast GeForce 4 MX 420 card with no
problems; the TV-out looks about as good as I expect to get without
going DVI.

Now, after the power supply on that box died, I took the opportunity of
the downtime it provided to put together a new FE/BE box (and finally
get my desktop machine back from the living room!)  For the new box, I
got a Chaintech 7NIF2, as it's been well-recommended by a number of
people on this list.  I swapped my existing FC1 drive in from the old
Myth box, and things (mostly) Just Worked, with a little bit of
tweaking.  Now, here's the problem:  the TV-out looks like crap.
*Lots* of flicker in the UI (viewing video looks OK, but the OSD has
the same flicker, and no, I'm not using bob deinterlace or XvMC).  I
suspect it might have something to do with the TV encoder chip (the MX
420 I'd been using has an NV17 chip; the Chaintech on-board uses an
NV18 chip).  Also, my old card has some kind of proprietary video-out
(looks deceptively like s-video but has a different pin configuration)
and used an adapter to get composite & s-video.  The Chaintech mobo has
plain ol' s-video out.

I tried playing with the nvidia-settings utility (using 6111 driver),
but while I was able to reduce flicker, doing so leaves the UI somewhat
"fuzzy" or indistinct, at least as far as text goes.  I'm *hoping* that
a custom modeline will solve my problem, as I don't have a spare video
card if I pull the GF4MX 420 out of the other box.

Anybody card to offer up a modeline, or won't that help?

-JAC