[mythtv-users] Re: Highly confused - tuner type=39 ??

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 18:10:35 UTC 2004

(This response pertains to kernel version 2.4.26 or 2.4.27 only.)

Sorry for not posting my information sooner. When I had gotten around to it originally, I had seen that there was a new patch for the 2.4.27 kernel, on whomever's website that was/don't remember.

Here is my the manually patched tuner.c and tuner.h files for 2.4.26 (should work fine for 2.4.27), that includes the new tuner type 47.

http://www.schaefer.dhcp.biz/tuner.c
http://www.schaefer.dhcp.biz/tuner.h

Not that I care what version you use, but I'm here to say that ivtv-0.1.9 works flawlessly with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 card. It has a the newer tuner type 47 so I had to patch the tuner module in the kernel AND in the bttv driver code, since it also has a copy of the tuner module. If you don't and it doesn't support type 47, and you use/install the bttv driver it will overwrite your patched tuner.o.

I use bttv-0.7.107 driver, so if you use bttv-0.9+ then you might be careful about the patch, I'm guessing that the bttv-0.9+'s tuner module is a little more recent than the kernel's (2.4.26/27's).

I manually edited the tuner.c/.h files, deleted tuner.o (with in the kernel tree), went back to the root of the kernel tree and executed "make modules;make modules_install", but keep in mind that the kernel I use is from this same source kernel tree... so my source tree configuration is in sync with my compiled kernel... if you have not compiled your own kernel then you might be in for some extra work.  I noticed a short discussion on "cloneconfig", personally never used it, but it sounds like it'd save you some time. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the tuner.o cares about the kernel's configuration (symbols and stuff) so you may be able to get away with just executing "make modules" and then copying the tuner.o into the proper /lib/modules/ location.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or if I've confused you.
    sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com