[mythtv-users] MythRecommend, new version.

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Fri Nov 5 17:48:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 10:54 -0500, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> Let me see if I have this schema right before I poke into mythweb.
> Table recommend contains the shows I've listed as set to record,
> indexed by ID which is just an auto incrementing field.  Table
> Recommendchild should really be called "recommendations" and contains
> the recommendations listed by ID which references the id's in
> recommend right?

Sounds about right. The recommend table is the "parent" table, that
holds your recordings that actually have recommendations. So if you
record say "Jane Doe's local TV show" and the central database doesn't
have anyone else that watches that show, it won't show up in the
"recommend" table.

For each entry in the "recommend" parent table, there should be one or
more entries in the "recommendchild" table, which are the actual
recommendations. Keep in mind that some of these recommendations may be
bogus. By bogus I mean they may be shows that you can't record at all,
because they don't air on any of your channels, or they may not air in
the next 2 weeks (or however far in the future your ZapTV listings go).
However, I keep them in the database "just in case" they do start to
air.

So, you need to join the "recommendchild" table with the "program" table
(--print in the perl script shows an example) so programs you can't
record get eliminated from the list.

There are also two types of ordering, by popularity (how many other
people record the same show), or by rating (the priority MythTV users
set the recoding to). So far popularity seems to be the better
indicator.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>