[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-out Problem

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Fri Nov 5 15:14:46 UTC 2004

I'm having problems getting the PVR-350 TV-out working on Fedora Core 2,
while following Jarod's guide.  When the system boots, X tried to start
on the TV and after 3 attempts, fails (the xorg.conf is from Jarod's
site).  OK, so I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and here's what I find:
------
(II) LoadModule: "ivtvdev"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o
(II) Module fbdev: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) IVTVDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:0b:0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
------
However, when I:

depmod -a
modprobe ivtv

The driver appears to load properly as reported by lsmod.  Here's the
strange thing--I get a screen full of gibberish on the attached monitor.
It's just random characters, and I don't recall that ever happening when
I had this working under Red Hat 9.0.

lspci -v sees the cards properly and reveals 00:09.0 as the Bus ID.  I
have translated this to, well, BusID "0:0x09:0" in xorg.conf.

Some more info:
------
 ll /dev/video? reveals:

crw-------  1 root root 81, 0 Oct 17 11:37 /dev/video0
crw-------  1 root root 81, 0 Oct 17 11:37 /dev/video1
crw-------  1 root root 81, 0 Oct 17 11:37 /dev/video2
crw-------  1 root root 81, 0 Oct 17 11:37 /dev/video3
------

What's interesting about this is that I had done a chown to mythtv
before but it seems to have reverted back to root ownership.

All help appreciated.
--
Michael Starks <mythtv at michaelstarks.com>