[mythtv-users] Box location

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 14:31:01 UTC 2004

flurdy wrote:
> I am a newby and I have some quirries regarding the location of other
> users Myth box(es).
>
> I am currently deciding on where to have the box and what type of case
> to get.
> Small/large/warm/cold/pretty/grose/noisy/quiet/multiple/standalone.... etc.
>
> Do one have to have the box close to the TV?
> IR repeaters, means it is not a restriction.
> I presume it will have to be next to my digital cable settop box (NTL -
> uk).
> I also presume due to scart/svideo connection it will have to be next to
> the main tv. However I hope i can pipe a normal arial cable to my own tv
> network for viewing in other rooms?
>
> If the box is to be in the living room, then it would have to be good
> looking and quiet. The smaller the better as well. Anywhere else, just
> expandable is okay.
>
> I am considering an Antec Aria (discussed in another thread) or an Antec
> Sonata. I already own a Sonata for my game box, and it is pretty(ish)
> and very quiet. However it may be too big for the living room? The Aria
> is small and meant to be quiet, however may get too hot and not sure how
> quiet it is. Also may be limited to just one capture card?
>
> Does everyone else keep their box by their main tv? What if you have
> several boxes?
>
> Also is a normal arial output good enough quality for larger TVs?

I'm not bothering about look/quietness at the moment.. am redecorating
the front room so will be upgrading the box then..

Regards to the arial output.. I would *seriously* recommend not using
it.. from your ntl box (I'm on sky and it works the same way) get a
scart converter (maplins have them) to convert scart to the svideo on
your tv card input.. the difference is *huge* for only a few quid.

Regards

Craig