[mythtv-users] Box location

flurdy mythtv at lists.flurdy.com
Wed Nov 3 14:04:31 UTC 2004

I am a newby and I have some quirries regarding the location of other
users Myth box(es).

I am currently deciding on where to have the box and what type of case
to get.
Small/large/warm/cold/pretty/grose/noisy/quiet/multiple/standalone.... etc.

Do one have to have the box close to the TV?
IR repeaters, means it is not a restriction.
I presume it will have to be next to my digital cable settop box (NTL - uk).
I also presume due to scart/svideo connection it will have to be next to
the main tv. However I hope i can pipe a normal arial cable to my own tv
network for viewing in other rooms?

If the box is to be in the living room, then it would have to be good
looking and quiet. The smaller the better as well. Anywhere else, just
expandable is okay.

I am considering an Antec Aria (discussed in another thread) or an Antec
Sonata. I already own a Sonata for my game box, and it is pretty(ish)
and very quiet. However it may be too big for the living room? The Aria
is small and meant to be quiet, however may get too hot and not sure how
quiet it is. Also may be limited to just one capture card?

Does everyone else keep their box by their main tv? What if you have
several boxes?

Also is a normal arial output good enough quality for larger TVs?

Cheers,
flurdy