[mythtv-users] Can't start lirc_gpio automatically on boot

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:17:41 UTC 2004

I have been trying to get lirc_gpio loaded automatically on boot up so that
my remote works. I have put these lines in my /etc/rc.local:

#!/bin/sh
touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/sbin/modprobe lirc_gpio        # probe for TV Excel remote kernel module
/sbin/service lircd start       # start lircd service

I've tried this with alias char-major-61 lirc_gpio at the top of
/etc/modprobe.conf and without it in the file at all. No matter what I do I
can't get the module to load automatically which means that before I run
mythfrontend I have to get a root console and modprobe lirc_gpio to get it
working. I have tried running /etc/rc.local from a root command line and it
works fine then, it just doesn't seem to work on boot up.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to how to get this to work?

TIA,
Phill