[mythtv-users] DVD Problems

JTJones mythmail at crimsonknight.com
Mon Nov 1 23:32:10 UTC 2004

I posted this question to the KnoppMyth forums but I guess they did not like
it since they say it deals with MythTV not their KnoppMyth.  But I am having
a problem getting my machine to use dvd's.  When I insert a dvd it does
nothing, so I go into Optical Disks and select DVD Player and it does
nothing, I select Rip DVD it gives me an error about being able to connect
to the Myth Transcoding Daemon so I go to a terminal and run "mtd -d" to
start the daemon.  When I go back into Rip DVD it will run for 10-30 minutes
then give the error saying that "the connection to the Myth Transcoding
Daemon was lost, this is not a good thing", when I do a ps -ef and grep for
mtd nothing is there it would appear it shut itself down.  So I start it
back up and it will run as long as I do not try to rip a dvd, but I still
cannot get a dvd to play.  I tried using Xine instead of Mplayer, all this
did was bring up the Xine splash screen and locked the display until I
killed Xine from a terminal.

On a side note I can watch TV, timeshift and record and playback recordings
with no problems so I know that part of it is working.