[mythtv-users] ouple of question relating to setting up a MythTV box

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Sun May 30 16:02:40 EDT 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 02:07 pm, Lucas Meijer wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > Hi,  I'm considering setting up a MythTV box on my lan to act as a
> > PVR. It will be required to record shows, (as a PVR does!), which can
> > then either be watched on the machines monitor or transferred to
> > VCD/DVD for watching on my telly, (i.e. TV out from the machine is
> > NOT a requirement).
> >
> > The machine I'm thinking of using is a Athlon XP2000+ with 512mb
> > memory, a GF4 MX4?? and a Hauppauge PVR350.
>
> Make sure you got plenty of HD space.
>
> > Couple of questions though:
> > 1).  Whats the best distrbution to use with MythTV.  I currently run
> > SuSE on my machines but I'm not rabid about using that in particular,
> > (although if it works that would be nice).  I am aware that with
> > Fedora I ould need to build a generic kernel to allow the Nvidia
> > drivers to work.
>
> I guess there's no real good answer to this one. Altough it seems SuSE's
> gcc is broken, at least when it comes to myth. I know very little of
> linux, and decided to go for gentoo. It went pretty smooth. I think
> there are no distro's reported as not working, except for SuSE's problem
> with its compiler.
>
> > 2).  Are theer any other "pitfalls" which I am likely to come across?
>
> tons :-)..
>
> However you don't need an hauppage pvr350. The 350 is a 250 + tv out.
> You don't need tv out, so might as well get the cheaper pvr250.
> Otherwise the machine seems to be good enough, I also run an XP2000+
> with 512mb with an hauppage pvr350, and so far everything is going ok.

Sorry to interject, but I was wondering about this... If you lose the tv out
with the 250 do you still lose hardware decoding?  Just wondering...

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"