[mythtv-users] kernel name question

Andy Lee andy at ecdsystems.com
Tue May 25 10:13:12 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On May 23, 2004, at 23:46, Paul Woodward wrote:
>
>> X has probably failed to start with your new kernel. Have a root around
>> in /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see if you can see
>> any errors.
>

> Yeah, my guess would be that you're using an nVidia card and didn't
> install the nvidia driver for your new kernel. Or something along those
> lines.

I think you are right, and I am using an NVidia card, but I am still
stuck.

I did an 'apt-get update' & an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and then
successfully got the kernel module (w/ 'apt-get install
nvidia-graphics4363-kmdl-$MYKERNEL')

But I get an error when I try to get the driver itself ('apt-get
install nvidia-graphics4363') to the effect that it is not installable
because it "depends on python2 (=2.2)"

Do I need to downgrade python somehow?  Or is this a dependency bug in
the nvidia driver package?

-Andy