[mythtv-users] kernel name question

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon May 24 03:43:54 EDT 2004

On May 23, 2004, at 23:46, Paul Woodward wrote:

> X has probably failed to start with your new kernel. Have a root around
> in /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see if you can see
> any errors.

Yeah, my guess would be that you're using an nVidia card and didn't
install the nvidia driver for your new kernel. Or something along those
lines.

I'm guessing it was actually leaving you at a command-line login, which
is something entirely different from single-user mode...

> The other
> (unexpected, at least to me) one is "Fedora Core
> (2.4.22-1.2188.nptl)", and when I choose it at boot, it starts up X as
> expected (i.e. as before the upgrade).

The second one is probably the one you were running while upgrading the
kernel. You had to have a kernel installed on your machine already to
be able to install another one via apt-get...[1]

> Is there reason to use one over the other?

Yes. The .at kernel has XFS and V4L2 support compiled in (among other
things), the other one doesn't.

> I will freely admit to not
> understanding the kernel naming convention (as in, I have no idea what
> "nptl" means).

Native POSIX Thread Libs. Improved kernel threading found in the
2.6-series kernel, back-ported (or maybe they just developed it, I'm
not certain) by Red Hat into their 2.4 kernels. 2.4.22 is the base
kernel version, the rest is revision-level info (1.2188) for Red Hat,
the nptl addition to say "this is an NPTL kernel", and that would be it
for a kernel straight from Red Hat. The _48 is the ATrpms revision
level, the rhfc1 says "this kernel is compiled for Red Hat's Fedora
Core 1", the at says the kernel is from ATrpms. Or something like that.

> If I should indeed be using the ...nptl_48.rhfc1.at
> kernel, I could use a nudge as to how to make it boot into multiuser
> mode.

If my guess was correct, you need to install the nvidia-graphics kernel
module.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...