[mythtv-users] Sound problems

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon May 24 18:46:20 EDT 2004

Matthew Mead wrote:
> Ok,
>
> After doing some digging.. reading old posts and trying everything I
> could think of I need some help.
>
> I have my video card line out going into my sound cards line in.
>
> I have alsa drivers loaded and can view video just fine. I am however
> unable to hear anything at all from mythtv.
>
> It seems like the encoding/playback isn't going..

Exactly, this is about the most common problem encounter in getting
started. Usually it's just a matter of using alsamixer to set your
"Line" as "CAPTUR" and to turn up the volume on the slider with the
sub-caption "Capture".

> Any suggestions on to where I should be looking next to fix this..

> Else the only way for me to get any kind of sound is to unmute the line
> in in my mixer but then its off by 2 secs (sync)

To be expected but at least that confirms that the analog signal
is reaching the sound card. Now you just need to digitize it with
the DSP.

--  bjm