[mythtv-users] Bringing closure to the wiki discussion

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 17:41:07 EDT 2004

Ok,

I'm starting to regret mentioning the wiki thing when I suggested that Jarod's
guide be hosted on mythtv.org.

Let's abstain from utilitarian discussions regarding wiki and whether we like
it or hate it.

I fully agree with Isaac that documentation fragmentation is a bad thing.
Let's keep all mythtv related documentation on mythtv.org so when you need
help you seek it in the most logical place -- the home of mythtv.  I define
"mythtv related" as anything that people use explicitly for and in
conjunction with mythtv, even stuff as removed from myth per se as dvd
authoring.  If people as for this info on the mailing list, it should be in
the documentation, except of course when it's blatantly off-topic.

The reason I put wiki up for discussion was because I felt that a place on
mythtv.org where people can submit HOWTOs and have them categorized for easy
retrieval and reference could be actually useful.  If I'm not wrong Robert is
currently doing the admirable job of maintaining the HOWTO. For that a big
thank you to him and everybody else.

But as is common with any fast growing project, there are just too many
esoteric configurations, needs, approaches to solving problems and improving
performance.  I think a fat, all-encompassing HOWTO is not the best way of
addressing the ever growing needs of the mythtv community (as it is a
community already).  Soon, the HOWTO will be too big.  Why not separate
topics in logical rubrics -- say hardware related, software related, etc.
Under Hardware we can have a section on ir devices, or silencing fans, etc.
Under software we can have topics such as distributions, lirc multiple
devices configuration, etc, etc, etc.

Then when you need help, you won't have to search on the mailing list (which
of course will still be the best source of getting help) and trying to guess
the best search criteria and then wade through unrelated hits.  Instead you
go to that repository of knowledge and drill your way down logically to the
topic you have a problem with.

Wiki struck me as something that fits that description.

So, let's try to be constructive about it:  Isaac, how do you feel about a
overhaul of the documentation portion of mythtv.org to allow for easy user
submissions that are quick to appear on the site?  Perhaps assign a few
volunteers to handle the load of expecting and vetting user submissions?  I
would put my money where my mouth is and volunteer myself, if better people
are not found.

Thanks,
IvanK.