[mythtv-users] Goofed up root password for mySQL...

Bill McDevitt (Home) bmcdevitt at cox.net
Fri May 14 17:04:34 EDT 2004

Greetings!

Working through Jarod's install, and at Step 13 Set up MySQL, I had a cut and paste error to the console.

I ran this command:

# mysql -u root mysql

got the mysql prompt.  Cut and pasted this command into the console, but when I pasted I had grabbed part of the next line too (mysql> FLUSH):

mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD') WHERE user='root';

Apparently the part of the next line set the password...

Not thinking anything bad had happened, I ran the next two commands:

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit

Now I cannot log into mysql as root, as it tells me the root password is bad.  I've tried all sorts of combinations of the real root password, no password, and the part of the line that got added in by accident.

Is there any way to clear the root password and reset it or am I going to have to go the reinstall route?

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Bill