[mythtv-users] Snowy picture using Jarod's guide

David George david at onyxsoft.com
Fri May 14 07:30:53 EDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 brad at bradandkim.net wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
> > "test_ioctl --list-inputs" shows all the inputs available (the first in
> > the list is 0, then 1, etc.).  Make sure you try them all.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, you might want to mention which input you're
> > trying to use (tuner, S-Video, composite, etc.) and how it's hooked up
> > (i.e. external receiver, cable connection, antenna connection, etc.).
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Thanks for the help.  I have tried all the inputs, 0-5.  Like I said, only
> 4 gives anything but a blank picture and according to test_ioctl
> --list-inputs 4 corresponds to tuner 0.  I would interpret that as the
> coax input.  That is what I am using, straight from Comcast's cable box.
> I also have composite from the cable box going to a receiver and that is
> working fine.  I have unplugged the composite to make sure it is not
> keeping the coax signal from working, and there is no difference.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Is the coax output on the Comcast cable box and analog cable passthrough,
or is it labeled TV out?  If it is TV out is it outputting on channel 3 or
channel 4?  You will need to set the channel to whatever channel the cable
box outputs on.  If it is a passthrough I don't have any ideas for you
except to try plugging the cable into the myth box directly skipping the
cable box and seeing if you get anything with that.

HTH,
David