[mythtv-users] GUI Fonts and DPI

Darren Hart darren-keyword-mythtv?users.66bee7 at dvhart.com
Thu May 13 23:07:47 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 19:41, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 07:07:02PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
>
> > Lastly, I set the DisplaySize in the Monitor section of
> > XF86Config-4 to match my television.  The resulting DPI is
> > something like 25, which is correct.  This results in
> > miniscule fonts, even though it is correct for my 32"
> > television.
>
> The fonts are being rendered to be X points tall at 25 DPI. For
> example 24 points is about 1/3 of an inch, so that's how tall a
> 24pt font will be on the screen (1/3 inch).  If you want them
> rendered bigger, just tell X that your display is smaller, so
> that it thinks there are more dots per inch (and hence more
> dots in 24 points).  I tell X that my display is 152mm x 102mm,
> even though it's really 560mmx460mm.  That way the font that's
> supposed to be 24pts tall (.33inches), is actually 1.5 inches
> tall -- which is still sometimes difficult to read from across
> the room.

OK, lying to X about DisplaySize is how I am "solving" the problem
now... but it doesn't seem ideal.  Is the problem that we have so many
different usage models (desktops, huge plasma, tiny TV's, etc) that it
isn't feasible to specify a default font size that looks right at the
correct DPI?  It seems to me that the vast majority of those using
MythTV wouldn't ever want a 1/3" tall font?

Thanks for the feedback.  I suppose I could also just adjust the point
sizes in Setup->Appearance?

-Darren