[mythtv-users] GUI Fonts and DPI

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 13 22:41:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 07:07:02PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> Lastly, I set the DisplaySize in the Monitor section of
> XF86Config-4 to match my television.  The resulting DPI is
> something like 25, which is correct.  This results in
> miniscule fonts, even though it is correct for my 32"
> television.

The fonts are being rendered to be X points tall at 25 DPI. For
example 24 points is about 1/3 of an inch, so that's how tall a
24pt font will be on the screen (1/3 inch).  If you want them
rendered bigger, just tell X that your display is smaller, so
that it thinks there are more dots per inch (and hence more
dots in 24 points).  I tell X that my display is 152mm x 102mm,
even though it's really 560mmx460mm.  That way the font that's
supposed to be 24pts tall (.33inches), is actually 1.5 inches
tall -- which is still sometimes difficult to read from across
the room.

--
Grant