[mythtv-users] bandwith req. for multiple wireless frontends

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Sat May 8 10:39:53 EDT 2004

> My question is: what happens in case I have multiple frontends
> (say, N frontends) connected to the same backend?
> Will the backend need a bandwidth of N * 5Mbps ?

I would think so.

> And what in the particular case that all the frontends would
> be watching the SAME program from the backend?
> Would it still need N times the bandwidth, or will it
> trasmit the same stuff just once?

Transmitting only once would require either broadcast or multicast.  Both
would involve a datagram based scheme (eg. lossy) and most likely a way to
retransmit lost packets.  I doubt very much that MythTV will do either.  Of
course, it would be a really cool thing to implement... :-)

--
Without love intelligence is dangerous; without intelligence love is not enough.
        -- Ashley Montagu