[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 14:05:49 EDT 2004

--- Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > I don't know about digeo or how it works,  I
> couldn't see anything about
> > redistributing shows over the internet on their
> webpage, but if they do
> > perhaps they redistribute *with* commercials still
> in.  I'm sure they
> > have agreements with all the networks involved.
> As HBO/Showtime are not
> > commercial supported I doubt they can redistribute
> shows on those
> > networks.
>
> As far as I know, Moxie (digeo's device) works just
> like myth does.
> Server records, client plays.  No transmission of
> shows over the
> internet, etc., nothing illegal about it.  Although
> it seems to only
> support one "slave" client box (hard to tell from
> the info).
>
> -Chris

I was writing about what digeo labels "VOD" where a
cable subscriber will not need to home-record the
Sopranos (for example) when the show airs to be able
to watch it at any convenient off-broadcast time. VOD
is set to allow viewing a cable show anytime a
subscriber wants. No additional tv tuner needed. As I
understand it, VOD is not like FTP, for a number of reasons.