[mythtv-users] Using DVD writer as primary DVD drive?

Franco net.surfer at tiscalinet.it
Wed Mar 31 07:39:44 EST 2004

(trying to sum up with a single answer to all the postings):

YES, DVDs mount very well, but after that, whether I try
to make an iso image with dd, or to copy the directory
tree with cp, I always get an I/O error after a few megabytes
of data.

> 3. If that plays, try a test extraction:
> "mencoder -dvd 1 -oac copy -ovc copy tmp.avi"
> 4. Test the saved DVD by doing "mplayer -fs tmp.avi"

I'll try this but does that mencoder command just _copy_
the dvd, or does it perform some sort of re-encode (as the
program name suggests)? Also, I don't think an AVI
will hold the menus, language selection, etc....

> Adding to Myth:
> 1. Add the following to
> /usr/share/mythtv/videomenu.xml

Thank you, this is very useful

> mount -t udf /dev/dvd /mnt/cdrom

I'll try also this. Shouls the "-t udf" solve the I/O errors during copy?

Thankx,
Franco