[mythtv-users] Stop showing TV when idle?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 06:49:46 EST 2004

> I agree that the crashing is its own problem.  However, I also think
> that the feature he recommends is a good idea.  Instead of having the
> hard drives thrash endlessly, have mythtv back out after a
> certain time,
> say a four hour default.  Saves watts spent on CPU cycles,
> saves life on
> the hard drive.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Peter

Not a good idea. I frequently leave the system running on a music channel
all day long as I work around the house. I would be pissed if the box
decided on its own to drop back to the menu after 4 hours. There are also
times where I will watch one channel for 5 hours and again would be pissed
if it decided on its own to drop to the menu in the middle of a show. Its
not that hard to push the "back" button on the remote when you are shutting
things down for the night.