[mythtv-users] ME6000, PVR350, Myth(TV)ology, /dev/video0 I/O error

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 30 00:44:10 EST 2004

On Mar 29, 2004, at 20:02, Ryan Brancheau (US) wrote:

> [...]

Definitely double-check /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg to see
what device ivtv is assigning to your 350. Like Ryan said, it might be
getting a different device number.

> All this stuff is entirely new, purchased after my KT133-based system
> seemed to suffer from typical DMA problems and I replaced that
> overpriced 'silent' (ha!) Overture case and most of the stuff in it.
> The OS install is new and clean.  I'll post like a million config file
> details if you want, but I've done it before today's 100%
> paint-by-numbers install.

The VIA boards are a slightly different story, and I doubt 100%
adherence will work with them. I've actually got an ME6000 sitting on
the shelf next to me, and a 350 doing nothing right now, but no time...
(May change shortly!!! I find out Thursday)...

> I think I need some encouragement to even continue to try, actually, as
> I'm nearly in a state of mind that would result in my shiny new ME6000
> unit being reduced into a pile of very small bits and lit on fire,
> around which I'll be dancing like a navajo.  Judging by the traffic on
> this list, there must be a million people on it.  There's gotta be one
> guy who's successfully set up FC1 Myth on an ME6000 and a PVR350, one
> guy who knows maybe what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I'm not sure about FC1, but I know Torsten runs a 350 on his ME6000,
though under Debian. Reading over his doc (can't recall the link,
search the archive) might help lend some insight.

> Anyone spare a clue?  Whaddaya wanna know first?  Please CC any replies
> to me as well.  Hell, call me collect if you want.  I don't want to
> miss
> my salvation in this flood, and I'm thinking the apparent FAQness of my
> question will only induce the square root of one reply.

Heh...

> Just a few initial thoughts:
>
> If I'm not mistaken the ME6000 has an integrated video-out, you might
> be
> at video1 for ivtv.

Or even video3, if you're loading the full-out VIA drivers.

> Check to make sure that /dev/video0 or video1 even exist (did you run
> the mknod commands?)

Both of those (and video[2,3]) are created automatically at system
install time.

> Check lspci -v to make sure the card is even recognized

Yes.

> Check dmesg |grep ivtv to see if ivtv is actually loading.

And what device its loading to.

> Worth a shot anyway...

One day, I may just get my 350 onto this ME6000 (still need to find an
optimal case for it)... Until then, we'll try to help you through the
pain and suffering. In the immortal words of Rob Schneider's character
in The Water Boy, "You can do it!". ;-p

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...