[mythtv-users] ME6000, PVR350, Myth(TV)ology, /dev/video0 I/O error

Ryan Brancheau (US) ryan.brancheau at us.didata.com
Mon Mar 29 23:02:11 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of bishop
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:35 PM
To: MythTV List
Subject: [mythtv-users] ME6000, PVR350, Myth(TV)ology, /dev/video0 I/O
error

I'm at my wits' end, almost.  I've followed every word of Jarod's
instructions to the letter, and I just don't have enough knowledge about
the situation to have any freakin' clue in the matter.

Jarod says:
> # cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg (ctrl-c to stop capture)

and my machine says:
> [root at otnemem root]# cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error

No problem, Jarod says:
> If you get the following error:
> cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error
>
> Run the following commands to reload the driver (this won't work for
PVR-350 users if the ivtv-fb module is loaded -- see above):
> # /sbin/rmmod ivtv
> # /sbin/modprobe ivtv
>
> Now try the capture again.

Yet, my machine says:
> [root at otnemem root]# /sbin/rmmod ivtv
> [root at otnemem root]# /sbin/modprobe ivtv [root at otnemem root]# cat
> /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> cat: /dev/video0: Input/output error

All this stuff is entirely new, purchased after my KT133-based system
seemed to suffer from typical DMA problems and I replaced that
overpriced 'silent' (ha!) Overture case and most of the stuff in it.
The OS install is new and clean.  I'll post like a million config file
details if you want, but I've done it before today's 100%
paint-by-numbers install.

I think I need some encouragement to even continue to try, actually, as
I'm nearly in a state of mind that would result in my shiny new ME6000
unit being reduced into a pile of very small bits and lit on fire,
around which I'll be dancing like a navajo.  Judging by the traffic on
this list, there must be a million people on it.  There's gotta be one
guy who's successfully set up FC1 Myth on an ME6000 and a PVR350, one
guy who knows maybe what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Anyone spare a clue?  Whaddaya wanna know first?  Please CC any replies
to me as well.  Hell, call me collect if you want.  I don't want to miss
my salvation in this flood, and I'm thinking the apparent FAQness of my
question will only induce the square root of one reply.

  - bish

16 Storeys = 1/2 * 9.8 * t^2 , regardless as to weight of MythTV unit.

--

Just a few initial thoughts:

If I'm not mistaken the ME6000 has an integrated video-out, you might be
at video1 for ivtv.

Check to make sure that /dev/video0 or video1 even exist (did you run
the mknod commands?)

Check lspci -v to make sure the card is even recognized

Check dmesg |grep ivtv to see if ivtv is actually loading.

Worth a shot anyway...