[mythtv-users] lirc fails to start on bootup but works when run manually

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 30 00:12:50 EST 2004

On Mar 29, 2004, at 11:38, homebreweverything wrote:

> I figured it out.  I turned on modprobe logging to track down what was
> before running lircd, but since the modules.conf I was using had no
> dependancies for lirc_i2c, it loaded lirc_i2c without loading ivtv,
> thus, it did not work.
>
> I then tested modprobe ivtv before running lircd, which loaded ivtv,
> and due to the modules.conf _started_ to load lirc_i2c, and lirc_dev,
> but it shows only as (Initializing) in the log, not that it's fully
> loaded.  My theory is if you use "add aboe ivtv lirc_dev" in
> modules.conf, and then modprobe ivtv, when modprobe exits, the
> lirc_dev module is only in the process of being installed, and running
> lircd immediately after it will yeild a failure.  I only tested this
> by putting a modprobe ivtv, then modprobe lirc_i2c infort of running
> lircd, and it worked.  A better test of this theory would be to probe
> ivtv, then sleep for some time...  or ask someone that knows more
> about it than me :)
>
> After determining that, I made lirc_i2c dependant on ivtv with "add
> below lirc_i2c ivtv" replacing "add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c" in
> my modules.conf.  Now I don't have any modprobes in any of my startup
> scripts.  When lircd loads, it modprobes everything correctly.  I'd
> think this would be the correct dependancy setup for modules.conf.
> Anyone have any comments?  Is this an improvement, luck, worse, or am
> I missing something?

Here's the relevant sections from my modules.conf, which works peachy
for me (and many others), no modprobes anywhere:

# lirc
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
# ivtv
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
options ivtv mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

My lircd init script is the third one that runs after the mythbackend
init (S86 and S90). No clue why your setup wasn't working though... :-\

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/