[mythtv-users] lirc fails to start on bootup but works when run manually

homebreweverything homebreweverything at myway.com
Mon Mar 29 14:38:58 EST 2004

I figured it out.  I turned on modprobe logging to track down what was loading and when during the reboot.  I had tried modprobe lirc_i2c before running lircd, but since the modules.conf I was using had no dependancies for lirc_i2c, it loaded lirc_i2c without loading ivtv, thus, it did not work.

I then tested modprobe ivtv before running lircd, which loaded ivtv, and due to the modules.conf _started_ to load lirc_i2c, and lirc_dev, but it shows only as (Initializing) in the log, not that it's fully loaded.  My theory is if you use "add aboe ivtv lirc_dev" in modules.conf, and then modprobe ivtv, when modprobe exits, the lirc_dev module is only in the process of being installed, and running lircd immediately after it will yeild a failure.  I only tested this by putting a modprobe ivtv, then modprobe lirc_i2c infort of running lircd, and it worked.  A better test of this theory would be to probe ivtv, then sleep for some time...  or ask someone that knows more about it than me :)

After determining that, I made lirc_i2c dependant on ivtv with "add below lirc_i2c ivtv" replacing "add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c" in my modules.conf.  Now I don't have any modprobes in any of my startup scripts.  When lircd loads, it modprobes everything correctly.  I'd think this would be the correct dependancy setup for modules.conf.   Anyone have any comments?  Is this an improvement, luck, worse, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike