[mythtv-users] cheap TV-Card

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Mon Mar 29 23:41:44 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 04:22, Tony Maro wrote:
> Maarten wrote:

> > it really only finds like 10 or 15 of the total 40 channels and they are
> > ridden with interference too.  The whole process was really aggravating,
> > luckily I eventually managed to get the second card working, thereby
> > pointing to a serious flaw in the first card.
>
> If a card is detected improperly, it might cause this as well.  My tuner
> type was set wrong by default and gave the results you describe.  I
> could tune to a few channels, but the quality was extremely poor.  I
> exchanged the card and got the same results.  Finally I learned you
> needed to add the tuner type to the modules.conf to get it to work right.

From what I read in the docs, a BT848 card needs to have its tuner specified
explicitly.  But a BT878 card signals which tuner ID it has so it should be
automatically recognized by linux (SuSE, in my case) with the right tuner
type.  That said, it is surely worth a shot... so I'll definitely try that.
It's just a pity that there are SO many tuner chips and that restarting all
the modules and having the card tested is such a big hassle.

Maarten