[mythtv-users] resolution confusion

Vince LaMonica vjl at vjl.org
Sun Mar 28 21:26:34 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

} No, increasing the capture size doesn't increase the disk space that's
} used your bit rate does that.  If you increase your capture size without
} increasing your bitrate you'll end up with a file the same size (but
} with potentially more compression artifacts).  You might want to try
} 704x480, which is more than big enough for NTSC TV and is one of the
} official DVD resolutions.

Is there a chart or FAQ somewhere which covers bitrates to use [esp. with
your recommended, 704x480 resolution]? Also, given that I have a PVR-350,
which appears to output 640x480 [at least on my TV], should I switch my X
session to use 640x480 resolution instead of the 720x480 that Jarod's
HOWTO shows?

One more resolution question - in the recording profiles, all the profiles
list 480x480 [eg: live tv, default, high quality and low quality]. But the
mpeg2 files that my 350 produces are all 640x480. If I change the default
recording profile to 704x480, will this change the mpeg2 output?

Thanks,

/vjl/