[mythtv-users] What is a good CHEAP dvd recorder?

Andrew Jamieson andrewjamieson at d1.com.au
Thu Mar 25 18:09:20 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Townsend" <arbiterxero at yahoo.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] What is a good CHEAP dvd recorder?

> AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! no!
>
> go sit in the corner and think about what you said.
>
> but seriously as much as saving these things sounds
> useful and like a good idea, a DVD burner is NOT.
>
> There are at LEAST 5 standards that I know of, 2
> popular ones (plus and minus) and they're just comming
> out with dual-layer DVD's and the dual-layer DVD's and
> burners aren't (VERY LIMITED) compatible with the
> current single-layer disks.
>
> Wait it out a bit it'll save you alot of money and
> hassle. Besides, most of the won't play in anything
> but a computer anyways, none of your DVD players will
> play them. Though ONe standard works in regular DVD
> players but I can't remember which one, I gave up
> after learning about the different standards that
> nobody can make a decision on.
>
> NOT WORTH IT.
>
> at least wait for the dual-layer burners if not a
> global standard.
>

> --- William <wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> > I am thinking about picking up a dvd drive so I can
> > save some of the stuff I
> > record and I have some questions.
> >
> > 1. Are all dvd recording drives supported under
> > linux or do I need to look
> > for a specific type?
> >
> > 2. What is a cheap reliable model? One that doesnt
> > turn out too many
> > toasters.
> >

> > Thanks for your opinions!
> >
> > Bill

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

The NEC burner mentioned previously is supposed to be quite good (although I
have no experience with it myself).  Some places worth researching for it
are:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/134

and

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=2500&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdprs=&dvdprws=&dvdrams=&buffer=Any&list=0&orderby=Name&Search=Search

(that link is a bit big and may not copy through OK - just goto
www.dvdrhelp.com and search for 2500)

It seems to be replacing the pioneer 106 / 107 as the darling of the DVD
burner comunity.

DVD-R's are compatible with virtually all new-ish (last few years) DVD
players, and if you buy a good drive with good media, I don't think you'll
have too many problems.  The biggest question is if you want to wait for
dual layer burners (due out around mid year - sony is quoting an RRP of
$230USD for thier model), but the media will be a limiting factor for the
use of these for the near future @ ~ 2.5 times the cost of single layer
media (according to verbatim).

Andrew Jamieson

---