[mythtv-users] Installed an ATA133 PCI card. True ATA100 speeds/DMA question

Dave and Lisa Hofstra lisadaveh at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 17:52:20 EST 2004

I really hope this gets listed with the reply to my original post on the
forum, if not, please excuse my ignorance.

chapati at yahoo.com was kind enough to suggest a few things I should
try to see if my new ata PCI card was working properly, and here is my
results

hde is my new hard drive on my PCI card (BTW it is still formatted with
NTFS)
hdb is my known hard drive that has DMA enabled
ALSO, the in chepati's reply
 >Also, from this line:
 >> AMD_IDE: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2) UDMA133 controller on
 >> pci00:09.0
 >
 >I don't think this is the PCI card you have installed. I would guess
it's the
 >built-in chip on the motherboard. Or maybe I'm wrong?
I do know that the pci card is listed in the dmesg report somewhere,
just not when I do the dmesg |grep DMA command

* [root at HTPCLinux lisadaveh]# hdparm -d /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
[root at HTPCLinux lisadaveh]# hdparm -tT /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1680 MB in  2.00 seconds = 840.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  138 MB in  3.03 seconds =  45.54 MB/sec
[root at HTPCLinux lisadaveh]# hdparm -d /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
[root at HTPCLinux lisadaveh]# hdparm -tT /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1628 MB in  2.00 seconds = 814.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  142 MB in  3.03 seconds =  46.86 MB/sec
[root at HTPCLinux lisadaveh]#

*looks good huh? I think it is working in DMA mode at ATA100 otherwise i
suspect the numbers would be quite different right?  Thanks for your
quick reply, I value all of your opinions on this issue as I would
rather return the card if it will not do what I want it to do in linux.

thanks,
Dave Hofstra