[mythtv-users] What is a good CHEAP dvd recorder?

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Thu Mar 25 17:36:52 EST 2004

Wrong, wrong and more wrong.

MANY standalone DVD players will play dvd-r and dvd+r.  Some say that -r
is a little more compatible, but I think they're roughly neck & neck.
My player (an old Panasonic RV-32) had ZERO advertisements or logos on
it for any of dvd burns, and it plays my DVD-R discs just fine.

But you're right that it sucks there's not one standard only.  That's
why most of the current drives coming out are dual-format.

The new dual-layer drives will be cool, but again that's just technology
advancing.  By the time those drives are as cheap as current dvd
burners, there will be new drives twice as fast, and heck maybe even
dual-layer/dual-sided media, again expensive then and cheap later.

I'm happy that I can play my mythtv recordings NOW in my player and all
my friends' players, as well as backup data at 4.7GB a pop.

I say buy a burner and be happy with it ;-)